[TowerTalk] 80 meter wire vertical

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 17:34:38 EDT 2017

On 9/13/17 2:28 PM, Bill via TowerTalk wrote:

> All this talk about 80 meter verticals got me thinking.
>
> For a wire vertical, suppose instead of a single wire, we replaced it with two wires separated by about three or four inches, connected at the bottom and top.
>
> Would the bandwidth be increased?
Yes
> Would the resonant frequency of the antenna be lowered?
maybe - difficult to tell off hand without modeling
> Would there be any advantage to using the two wires?
wider SWR bandwidth, less sensitivity to surroundings.
Even better is to use more wires and make a "cage dipole" or a "fat dipole"
> Would there be any change in impedence?
Yes, particularly off resonance.  the reactive term is smaller magnitude

If you take it to an extreme  you make a bicone (dipole) or conical
(apex at the ground)  or a discone (apex up with a ground plane above
the cone)   - those are incredibly wideband