[TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Jul 12 00:46:39 EDT 2018

You'd be surprised how many wire antennas I've actually built over the
years, having tried several different ones each year for Field Day.  You
can check the scores over the past 20 years to see what the result was
... mostly category 1B one or two op QRP.  K7ZB and I even held the all
time 1B2op battery record for a couple of years at 10,000 points (set
back in 2000).

The difference is that I modeled almost every one of those antennas
ahead of time.  The only thing I lost was the opportunity to waste a lot
of time and money ... while gaining a lot more understanding. The basic
version of EZNEC is free with the ARRL Antenna Book, so I'm not sure
what position would keep you from using it other than simply preferring
not to.

I suppose I could eventually build a small transmitter by wiring random
components together on a breadboard over and over again, but that
doesn't sound like "ham" radio to me either.

73,
Dave   AB7E