[TowerTalk] Need recommendations for a 40-10m. Yagi

Richard Thorne rthorne at rthorne.net
Sat May 5 07:09:35 EDT 2018

Dick,

If there's a jkantennas.com model that would suite your needs you will
not be disappointed.  I have several now and they are built stout and work.

The tough part will be getting the WARC bands without stacking.

If you can stack and the tower will handle the load, the Mid-Tri +40 and
a 12/17/30 would do the trick.

The other option is a Navassa or XR5/6 with a JK3040 stacked above it.

If you can do without WARC on the big tower the Mid-Tri +40 would do the
trick.  Consider stacking a JK801 rotatable dipole above it if you can.
I have one and the performance on 80m is outstanding. Mine is at 138'
give or take.

As far as rotors are concerned I've had good luck with the Orion. If you
get one throw the included mast clamp in the trash and get an upgraded
mast clamp from Champion Radio or K7NV.

If you can fit it in the budget get a prop pitch from K7NV.  If you have
a wind event there's no need to climb the tower to re-position the
antennas.  Just re-calibrate the green heron controller.  I have a prop
pitch on my rotating tower and we have high winds here.  The prop pitch
will turn, in either direction, when the winds get up in the 40mph
range.  I think this is a good thing as it relieves stress on the entire
tower system.  I just walk out to the tower with my compass get the
current heading and enter it into the green heron.

73,

Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC