[TowerTalk] Guying a Self supporting Tower Beyond the Height of Self Support

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sun May 6 10:27:24 EDT 2018

It is only self supporting to 45' with a limited windload and obviously the
base has to be designed for this - no pier pin.  I am not aware of any Rohn
45 (no G) tower.

John KK9A

Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote:

Sun May 6 10:11:19 EDT 2018
Beyond the Height of Self Support
Agghhh....  My apologies to the reflector.  I had a "brain-freeze" on the
Rohn 45G.  It most definitely IS self-supporting.  I remembered the the "G"
incorrectly and I have Rohn 45 towers not Rohn 45 G.

Ignore my point #1 except for the "put it up now and be done with it."

Points #2 and #3 are still accurate.  But I would still follow the
manufacturer's specs and if they do not talk about guying the free-standing
Rohn 45 G then I would not do it, nor would I exceed their height
recommendations/weight/wind load recommendations.

73

Bob, KQ2M