[TowerTalk] Guying a Self supporting Tower Beyond the Height of Self Support

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sun May 6 10:37:50 EDT 2018

You should follow the Rohn catalog regarding guy points on the tower. I have
an 80' Rohn 55G with two guy points, the top is a star guy, however Rohn 45G
is weaker. I am not a tower engineer but here is what I would do regarding
unlevel ground: If the anchor location is below the base you can move the
anchor further away and do the opposite for the ones that have a higher
elevation. This will give you similar guy wire angles off the tower and
similar tension.

John KK9A

Jim Forsman K7BIE wrote:

Greetings all, newcomer here.

Never having done this before, I'm seeking input, ideas and suggestions.

I purchased five - 10 ft sections of Rohn 45G, actually eight.

>From Rohn's plans for a self-supporting 45' tower, I followed the plans and
stacked the tower to 50', I know, I know, it's not 45'!

My wife and I bought and constructed a Mosley Pro67 c3 and and bought an
Alpha Spid rotor.  All this during the last Michigan winter. We were eager
to place the beam atop the 50' tower and get on the air after a long absence
from ham radio, and we thought about going up to eighty feet later.  But we
changed our minds and decided to go higher and wait a bit longer..

Where do I guy it?  Eighty foot Rohn plans suggest 35' and 65'.  But a tower
climber and other hams that all had many towers under-their-belt, had other
suggestions, i.e., 45', 75' and 80', etc.  My location is not level ground.
The three proposed anchor locations are ~90' horizontally from the tower.
One location is elevated about 8' , the others are ~5' and ~10' below the
level of the tower base.

I can get the horizontal components tensions worked out so the total
horizontal load at each guying height is balanced, even though the vertical
component, on the three tower legs will not be the same, harrumph.

Nuf said.  Any suggestions.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Jim Forsman - K7BIE
Linda "Poo" Forsman - K7POO