[TowerTalk] Laying out radials around a stone fence

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Mon May 14 11:00:10 EDT 2018

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 14, 2018, at 08:50, Les Kalmus <w2lk at bk-lk.com> wrote:
>
> Radials on/in the ground aren't resonant. Most of the current in them will be close to the tower regardless of the length of those radials so put down as many as you can at whatever length they come out which will be better than no radials.
>
> Les W2LK

Yes, however the engineering on radials has progressed past asking whether on- or in-ground radials are resonant and now considers the benefits of reducing resisitivity of the soil, as Jim Lux so aptly described. It’s not just about being part of a return path.

The axiom about more short radials being better than fewer long radials remains, especially if your space or wire supply is limited. But if you have more of each, radials farther out are still beneficial.

It’s probably still wise to not sacrifice a dense field of radials near the antenna at the altar of fewer longer radials, but it didn’t seem space or wire was limited, merely that there’s an obstacle in the way.

73, kelly, ve4xt