[TowerTalk] Laying out radials around a stone fence

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:59:24 EDT 2018

> An experienced local MW broadcast engineer and low band ham, VE6LO now SK,
> did some experiments with radials on a 160m vertical he had with a yard
> that also had obstacles.  Using a RF current meter (similar to the MFJ 854
> I expect) he came to the conclusion that if a radial had to be bent to go
> around an obstacle, you might as well not bother - as he found very little
> RF continued past the bend.

When you have a structure in the radial field that you can't go under
or remove, the standard broadcast practice is to strap around it.
Let's say you have a small square shed on a concrete foundation with
one corner facing the tower.  You'd lay at least 3 inch wide copper
strap all the way around and up against the foundation, run your
radials out to it and braze them to the strap and have them brazed and
continuing on the other side of the shed in line, as if they went
through the shed.   Then bury the strap, radials etc.

Not sure how this applies to the stone wall as I could not visualize
it but I agree that boring under it is best if possible.

73

Rob
K5UJ