[TowerTalk] Amount of "Goop" to use in Telescoping Aluminum Tubing Connections?

Richard Smith n6kt1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 22 20:04:13 EDT 2018

"Goop" = Penetrox, Noalox, Jet-Lube SS-30, or other

A while back, there was a good discussion on this reflector of which goop is recommended for telescoping aluminum tubing connections in antennas. My question here is not intended to recap all of the "Which Goop is Better" points, but rather to ask how much goop to use. Over the years, I have heard recommendations from "very minimal" to "lots".

I would be interested in recommendations from this very experienced group. The trade-offs in my mind are:
Very minimal amount: Pros: Allows the aluminum to aluminum contact to provide the electrical connection. The goop provides some lubrication, maybe some corrosion protection.                                   Cons: Not enough corrosion protection, not much help in separating telescoping parts when desired years later.
Lots of Goop:           Pros:  Assists in making a good electrical connection, provides more corrosion protection, easier to separate parts when desired years later
                                Cons:  Maybe too much lubrication, harder to get hose clamps tight enough to prevent unwanted slippage.
Maybe this is very basic, but I am interested in your comments.

Thanks in advance,
73, Rich, N6KT