[TowerTalk] Split Loom as an anti-critter device?

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Wed Oct 31 21:53:01 EDT 2018

On 10/31/18 21:00 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:

> I concur that the Superflex PVC is thin and would not be the best choice for
> long outdoor runs both on the tower or buried however I have been using FSJ4
> for short outdoor jumpers for many years without issue. I assumed that
> professionals like yourself also used this cable outdoors to connect 1 5/8+
> Heliax to a device or antenna.

No - never ever. Always LDF4 or similar.

Now if I had a bunch of FSJ4 and no LDF4, I would consider using it for
outdoor jumpers on a ham station because I would have the ends
weatherproofed well and would dress the jumpers in a way that ensured a
damage free lifetime.

But for a long buried run? No way.

-Steve K8LX