[TowerTalk] Broadband Match of 80/75M Dipole

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Apr 18 23:31:22 EDT 2019

On 4/18/2019 7:04 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> IMO the simplest near full band 80m dipole/V antenna is made with the
> 75 ohm matching section several folks have described.  However, it
> needs to be modeled for the height above ground. See AC6LA AutoEZ
> examples Part 5.

YES, and it works very well. Folks around Si Valley got the idea from
W6NL, but Dave says the method is far older than him. The method is the
first of many in this app note. http://k9yc.com/PacificonSmithChart.pdf

The executive summary is that you cut the antenna for around 3670 kHz,
connect a half-wavelength of 50 ohm coax to the antenna, then a quarter
wavelength of 75 ohm line. At the transmitter end of the 75 ohm section
you'll see SWR below about 1.7:1 from 3.5 - 3.9 MHz, which is plenty for
contesting and DXing.  Add enough 50 ohm coax to get to the transmitter
output, or coil up any excess. Loss in those two lengths run with a high
quality RG8/RG11 cables is less than 0.75 dB.  Loss and SWR are shown in
slide #49.

My experience is that NEC will do a good job of predicting feedpoint Z
if height and ground characteristics are known. To take the antenna to
SimSmith, run an SWR plot with a lot of points, quit NEC, and find
lastZ.txt.  Follow the instructions in AC6LA's ZPlots to find the file.
Microsoft hides it. Rename it to antenna1.txt, and load that into
SimSmith.   Or build the antenna, rig it at the height where you're
going to use it, and measure it with an analyzer that can produce a
Touchstone file of the complex impedance, measure the length of the line
using TDR, and subtract out the feedline.

It's also possible to model the whole thing in NEC if you have a version
that does real (lossy) transmission lines, and if you're willing to RTFM. :)

73, Jim K9YC