[TowerTalk] HDX-589 rotor and coax arms and why I re-subscribed after many year hiatus

n6sj at earthlink.net n6sj at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 10 14:03:31 EST 2019

Mac-

I have a UST HDX589 with a SteppIR DB42 (240 lbs., 20 sq. feet wind load) on top turned by an M2 Orion 2800 rotor.  No problems in 5 years, with pretty good wind gusts here in the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Not sure how much larger an antenna than that you would be putting up there.  I did need to use Kurt K7NV's mast clamp to prevent slipping.

I use Chris KF7P's curved standoff at the top, to avoid a right angle bend in the cables, but they go through the factory supplied open loops the rest of the way down.  When I lower the tower, I arrange the cables into an 8-foot wide "figure 8 flake" laying across two lawn chairs.  No tangles, and very easy to raise the tower with no snags.

73,
Steve
N6SJ