[TowerTalk] XHHW wire

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 24 09:47:06 EST 2020

Wikipedia explains in detail the issues with aluminum wire - old alloy
creep, corrosion, dissimilar expansion, galvanic corrosion, etc.  Plenty
of references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_building_wiring

Aluminum is the standard for mains wiring and commonly used for
conductors to subpanels, hot tubs, stoves, dryers, etc 50a or larger.
Modern Al alloy wire properly installed on correct connectors is
reliable and safe.  Copper is rarely used for 15/20a branch circuits for
all of the reasons enumerated in the wiki post.

I've checked main lugs (hot side of main breaker) to Al feeders on
several 200a and one 350a panel and found them tight and all had the the
corrosion inhibitor applied. Doing this is not advised with energized
feeders, as a primary short is nothing less than catastrophic/fatal.

Grant KZ1W