[TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Tool

Wilson Lamb infomet at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 7 23:10:08 EST 2020

I've made hundreds of coax crimps, and been paid for doing so.
But, at home, I still mostly tin the braid, nick it with a file, and break it off.
I wouldn't want to do hundreds, but it's fine for a couple now and then.
$60 for a jumper?  Insane!  Good coax from Jeffatec is 60c/ft (Used to be 45c/ft, thanks tariffs.).
PL-259s come from junk given to me or bought at hamfests, so my jumpers are well under $5.
And they handle 1200W with ease.  Some have done so for 50+ years!
That leaves $55 for beer and peanuts!
WL

PS:  The crimps I've done have been quite successful, BUT the crimp length on PL259s is way too short.
There's no good strain relief where the cable goes into the connector/ring.
I think screwing the 259 down onto the sheath of RG-8 makes a great mechanical connection.