[TowerTalk] 6m QRO 2 Position Manual Antenna/Coax Switch

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jul 22 19:50:24 EDT 2020

On 7/22/2020 10:03 AM, Wes wrote:
> I have not looked inside one of their switches, but based on examination
> of some of their surge protectors, I would not recommend Alpha Delta.

I've used Alpha Delta switches for years,all 1x4s, mostly before
replacing them with good coax relays and relay-switched boxes, but also
on portable setups like FD and CQP. I HAVE looked inside, since I had
one that was bad. It wasn't broken, it was MADE that way, with a part
missing so that there was no way that position #4 was going to work. So
much for final test. Electrically they're fine. The 1x2's are made the
same way.

I also have a few 1x2 Daiwa switches that seem pretty good. I haven't
measured any of them, but their mechanical construction of all of these
switches suggests that crosstalk/leakage should be very good.

The only other Alpha Delta product I've seen was their dipole insulator,
which includes a GDT. When it fries (shorted) on a lightning discharge
or too much TX power, the antenna must be lowered to correct the
problem. That can be a real PITA, depending on how the dipole is rigged.
And, IMO, it's the wrong place for a GDT to protect the radio. This was
one of a half-dozen dipole insulators I bought to figure out which were
suitable for my needs.

73, Jim K9YC