[TowerTalk] Removing ground rods

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Mar 30 17:01:17 EDT 2021

Pete,

I've never pulled out a ground rod, but I've pulled stubborn trees with what
I would call a "Jack-All" (Farmers jack, 4x4 Off Roaders Jack)

You see them strapped to oversized Jeeps & other SUV's sometimes.

Like a giant old style automotive bumper jack on steroids. (back when
bumpers were made out of real metal)

I've pulled all kinds of trees and jacked up sheds with the equivalent of
this bad boy:

42 in. Off-Road Farm Jack (harborfreight.com)
<https://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-6530.html>

GL Mike VE9AA

Anyone got an innovative way of getting 8-foot ground rods out of the
ground? I'm taking down my 160M RX and TX setups for the summer and have one
stubborn one.  I've tried the visegrips and even tried to use my car jack to
press against the visegrips, but the ground is too soft and uneven for that
to work.

-

73, Pete N4ZR

Mike, Coreen & Corey