[TowerTalk] Removing ground rods (Paul Beckmann)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Mar 30 19:56:48 EDT 2021

I have both a post popper and a "farm" jack.
The post popper has a "jaw" that grabs T
posts.  Completely useless on a ground rod,
or anything else besides T-posts. The farm
jack is vastly superior, do to its much
greater mechanical advantage.

I like the 1/4 inch hole idea.  I would first
insert the rod through a link in a chain, then
drop some washers over the rod, and then insert
a grade 8 bolt and fasten the chain to the jack.
I haven't tried it myself, but I have tried
and failed with the usual ideas like vise grips, etc.

What will work is soil dependent.  Here we have
clay that expands and contracts.  Once it contracts
on a ground rod, the grip is incredible.  YMMV...

73
Rick N6RK