[TowerTalk] Hardline Newbie

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Thu Sep 2 08:56:01 EDT 2021

The "Cell Reach" Commscope line of smoothwall hardline is not made
anymore, but except for one characteristic was the best cable available
for outdoor and especially direct burial use because there is no way for
water to migrate in the cable.

The bad characteristic is that it's stiff as a board, especially the
1-5/8" variety. However despite the stiffness, it can nevertheless be
bent at reasonably short radius turns, not far off of corrugated cable
specs.

Connector installation requires a coring tool. The cable is simply cut
flush, and the dielectric is cored out a half inch or so (the coring
tool will stop at the right coring depth).

As I recall the tool does a nice job of cleaning the solid center
conductor and the inside of the outer conductor, but make sure that's
the case before installing the connector.

-73, Steve K8LX