[TowerTalk] 160m vertical and the number of radials

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 2 17:51:45 EST 2022

On 12/2/2022 12:21 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> I just added 5 more radials to the 13 I had originally under my inverted
> L, and the R dropped from 34 to 31 ohms. Barely still worth doing, I guess.

It all depends on the difficulty/cost of adding more. The radiation
resistance of a vertical, which represents radiated power, is a function
of the vertical height, not the total length. There's a graph of this in
my tutorial. The combination of radiation resistance and ground loss,
both in Ohms, forms a voltage divider for the transmitter current, and
power lost is 10 log of the divider ratio. If, for example, you have
50-60 ft vertical, radiation resistance is likely to be less than 8 ohms.

73, Jim K9YC