[TRLog] A Little Perspective, Maybe

Pete Smith n4zr@dayton.akorn.net
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 00:44:36

Y'know, in all the furor of the last couple of weeks involving the
management of one of these reflectors, I think we've forgotten an essential
fact.

This is a HOBBY, not just for us, but for the people who run, and often
personally finance, these critical communications media for DXers and
contesters.  Yet over the last year or so, each of these people has gone
through a major job change.  I'm sure that if we stop to think about it,
there's little in each of our own lives that is more traumatic, whether
it's a move to something better, a move out of a bad situation, or the
"rightsizing" of the 90's.

Yet in each case, there has been either no interruption, or the most
minimal interruption, in the service that we all take for granted.  The
reflectors go on, and of course the people do too, but would we have had
any basis to complain if Tree, or Trey, or Lyndon had said, "Hey, guys, I
just have too much on my plate right now.  The reflector (or the software,
or whatever) has to wait."?    I don't think so.

And thanks are in order, too, to the guys who have pitched in to help when
the lifeline of one, or another reflector was threatened.  Bill, thanks for
taking up so much of the slack.  Also to Jim, and Lee, and the others whose
names I've forgotten to mention in this message.

So I'd suggest that we each be grateful for the benefits that these guys
are providing us, out of their own pockets and their precious free time.
And if donations are needed to keep things going, let's pitch in.  It's the
least WE can do, in the light of how much THEY are doing for us!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
West (bigawd) Virginia