[TRLog] simulator

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:50:04 -0600

Hmm....my original reply got rejected by trlog@contesting.com....

Attempt number 2...

Dave,

Do what I did:

Assemble the following parts:

1/4" Phone Jack (stereo or mono--your choice)
DPDT toggle switch (small RS mini type)
50K-ohm pot
150-300 ohm resistor

Remove a disk drive blank cover.
Drill three holes for the pot, switch and jack
Wire the switch such that you can either switch in the headphones
and out the speaker and vice versa.
Put the resistor in series with the + headphone lead and the pot
wiper.  One arm of the pot goes to the switch.

I experienced the same thing you did.  My computer was under my
radio desk and I found myself actually leaning over to hear the
little speaker.   I punched holes and wired it all up in about an
hour, once I decided to do it.

I only wish I had done it a long time ago.

You might want to experiment with the pot size and the resistor
size.  My speaker's audio source is REALLY LOUD.  Fortunately, I
had the headphones off when I first tried the switch without a
pot or resistor....I could have heard the phones across the
house!
I put the resistor in place to keep from putting all the output
across the headphones.  It actually could be larger.

This has made the sim-mode in TRLog a 1000% more pleasurable and
effective.

73,
Dale, kg5u