[Trlog] Several Questions

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sun Dec 28 17:40:28 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 03:05:16PM -0800, Eric Hilding wrote:

> 1.  The Shift Key/RIT is now working here, but I can't seem to find the
> details on how to REVERSE the RIT direction, and also change the amount of
> incremental RIT shift in Hz.

On Kenwood and Elecraft radios the shift keys move the RIT.
The left shift key moves it one way the right shift key
moves it the other direction.  Pushing both at the same time
clears the RIT.  You can also put a clear command in any CW message.

> 2.  Am I understanding that any changes made via CTRL + J can be
> "temporary" during the contest unless doing an ALT + W, etc.?

Yes.

> 3.  Umh, should one launch TR before turning on the rig, or vice-versa, or
> does it make any difference w/rig control connected?

Does not seem to matter with my computer/radios.

> 4.  How does one configure different CW default speeds for CQ mode vs. S&P
> mode?  If you're running stations at 35WPM, but want to do a quick S&P at a
> slower (default) speed (without having to always manually step-down by
> pushing a key several times), this would be extremely valuable.  The
> capability must exist...I just can't find the config info.

I dont think there is way to do this.

> 5.  If one wants to use TR in a non-contest mode ... like just an
> RST/DX-pedition mode, what is the recommended selection for use from the
> options available at startup for a "New Contest"???  I didn't see anything
> like "Generic" or "Standard" so need a recommendation.

GENERAL QSO  from the contest list.

> 6.  When I load up a blank contest for the Simulator with no QSOs, the
> memory figure in the upper right hand corner reads about 130,000.  After
> 650 "test" QSOs on one band, it's now down to 100,000.  Does this mean I
> would tap out at 2,500+ or so QSOs even on one band in real-time
> operation?

It depends on the contest to some extent - Tree can give more
meaningful comments on this.  With that much memory left
I think you can log alot of QSOs in ARRL DX or CQ WW.
Maybe 6k+

>  I plan to do all 6 bands from a non-US locale if things go
> according to plan.  And if so, what non-essentials should I disable?  I'd
> sure hate to lose dupe checking!

TR-Log turns things off as needed to free up memory - I do not recall
the order.

> 7.  If I make a backup copy of my .cfg file on a floppy so that in the
> event my computer takes a dump in the middle of a contest & must switch to
> another one, will the .dat, .rst & other files be automatically created if
> I do a new install of TR on the (replacement) computer and just plug my
> .cfg file into the subdirectory?

Yes - but you will also need a copy of your log file to have the QSOs
up to that point.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net