[Trlog] Russian DX Contest

Dmitri Bagno (RW3FO) bagno at mai.ru
Fri Mar 14 00:53:22 EST 2003

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:11:36 +0500
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc at r66.ru>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Russian DX Contest

| I think even better would be custom CTY.dat with Russian
| oblasts as countries but that is a bit time consuming...
| Igor UA9CDC

Yesterday, this cty.dat appeared at www.rdxc.org. Russian
oblasts (=additional mults to DXCC countries) were added
as separate countries in it.

Because of Russia has definite callsign system, using of this
file gives many advantages to TR users like fast mult checking
by prefix only, not by domestic ID you need to receive first,
auto mult marking in the bandmap, sunrise/sunset data, correct
antenna headings etc. Of course, TR-log is to be configured
specialy.

But be careful on this way. The problem is that adding 89+
Russian oblasts to cty.dat eat much free memory, especially
in case of multi-band mixed operation. The solution is to
remove some "exotic" territories from cty.dat, but "...that
is a bit time consuming".

Even in case of using dedicated cty.dat, Howard' .dta-file
remains very useful for those who like to see domestic ID in
exchange field automaticaly. To check if everything is OK with
Howard' .dta-file, check calls:
(1) "RK3AWA", TR is to show "MA" (Moscow), and
(2) "UA4CC", TR is to show "SA".
If you see anything different, download an updated file from
ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/n4af or, better, in contest, log that
what you hear.

---
I'd like to beg a pardon to Boris for my wrong oppinion
about the part of bad calls in UA1AAF logger database.
Now it is everything OK with his DB, it seems I did
something wrong.

--Dmitri (RW3FO), bagno at mai.ru
RL3A M/S in RDXC: www.rk3awl.ru