[Trlog] Names database

John Unger w4au at verizon.net
Sun Feb 10 12:58:43 PST 2008

Hi Scott -

Perhaps other with have better solutions, but I think that your problem is
that you are trying to work from an old TRMASTER.DTA file as a starting
point. You should try starting with a clean slate.

Here's how I put together my own TRMASTER.DTA file working from my old logs:

First, I created my own TRMASTER.ASC file from one of my SS logs. You can
do this operation from the log.dat file with an ASCII editor, by importing
and exporting the log.dat to Excel, etc.

Second, I used POST to create a new TRMASTER.DTA file from the .ASC file.
Then you can just add other log.dat files directly to the newly created
.DTA file.

Alternatively, using an ASCII editor, you could just make a one-line
TRMASTER.ASC file that looks something like this:
W4AU =AVA =K56
then use POST to convert that file to a .DTA file and then add other
log.dat files also with POST.

Another good idea is to look over your UBN report on the ARRL website and
correct any errors in the ASCII data before you propagate them into your
new .DTA file!

Also, I use the following commands in my LOGCFG.DAT file so that the
information from the TRMASTER.DTA file shows up as a 'hint' between the
call and exchange windows and leaves the exchange window blank, rather than
pre-filling the exchange. I like to copy what is actually sent!

USER INFO SHOWN = CUSTOM
CUSTOM USER STRING = CHECK SECTION USER1

Hope this helps.

73 - John,W4AU

p.s. You signal was booming in last night on both 40 and 80 in the SSB Sprint!