[UK-CONTEST] Log massage

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 16:15:55 EDT 2002

Steve/CKP makes an interesting point about log massage, although
I would prefer to discount his initial ROPOCO remarks.

It is surely very much a matter of conscience, as is our
behaviour towards our fellow human beings on a day to day basis,
and there is therefore no definitive answer, until/unless the
rule makers address the issue, which seems unlikely. At the one
end of the scale I might log GOCKP instead of G0CKP ( O instead
of zero), and if I notice this, I will certainly correct it,
since it is not a typing contest, and my conscience is clear.
However, some of us can recall getting emails from other
contestants, asking us to confirm a certain part of the
exchange. I certainly would not do that, and studiously ignore
any such requests. In any event, the amount of work involved in
sanitising a log post contest is not inconsiderable, especially
when the QSO total is in the thousands, and is surely not
viable.

On a topical theme, and referring to WAE, it has been widely
rumoured for many years, that many top operators simply record
the QTCs and copy them post contest. No great technology is
required for this, although it is clearly easier than it has
ever been. I have always preferred to think that the top dogs
are copying live, but this is certainly more difficult now that
computers spew the QTCs out at the touch of a key or a mouse. I
have no problem copying the stuff, but getting it into the
keyboard is another matter. In this respect, retention is
clearly the key, and I am in little doubt that Anno Domini is
complicit in a degradation of such an ability. Now if only I had
learned to "copy behind" when I was a sprog. Ah well.

Turning full circle, such an ability is also germane to ROPOCO,
where the Post Code has do definite expected format, especially
where puerile M5 operators ( no I know they're not all like
that) are involved, as has been observed. I only got such stuff
from trusted operators, but if I did recognise the source as
malevolent, I think my response would be a curt QRU, trash the
QSO and press on. Just my two penn'orth as it is de rigeur to
disclaim!

73

Clive
GW3NJW