[UK-CONTEST] IARU HQ stations

John MacLean, MM0CCC mm0ccc at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 15 02:24:18 EDT 2002

As I understand it at the moment Tim, RSGB/RA (probably the latter)
wont allow the same callsign to be used from different locations at the
same time.  Not like the UK to appear bureucratic (spelling?) in comparison
to our European neighbours is it ? (tic)

The 2000 IARU contest saw GB5HQ activated from Chris GM3WOJ's
QTH, where 160, 40, 20, and 15m were activated.  2 other groups/clubs
wished to activate the HQ call but had to be allocated other callsigns, one
of which, if I remember correctly, did'nt even contain "HQ" in it.
I reckon this may have caused the non "HQ" call problems being recognised
as and "HQ" station.  Then of course there was the need to explain to the
WRTC guys in S5 (looking for fast QSY's) that "GB5HQ was not QRV
on 80 or 10m....oh but look out for (call) instead".

John, MM0CCC.