[UK-CONTEST] GQ pfx

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 12:58:20 EST 2002

Ahem, prepare have your bottom bored off!

25 years ago, ah yes I remember it well. To my great chagrin I
had missed the special Jubilee holiday altogether because I was
manning the company's stand at DRUPA ( printing exhibition) in
Dusseldorf, which strangely didn't care about such things!

I remember leaving Dusseldorf on the Friday afternoon, flying
back to LHR, train to Cardiff, arrive ca 22z. Unpack bags, hit
the sack. Up at 07:00 hit the M4 mid morning and arrive Swansea
NFD site, and start assembling antennas as soon as it was
permitted( was it midday forget now?), with GW3OAY and the rest
of the Jacks.

Apparently it had been decided that the call used would still be
GW5ZL/P and *not* GE5ZL/P, the reason being that GE was an
"enhancement" to a G call but not to a GW call. I recall that
this a matter of some debate and controversy at the time. I
confess that my memory could be suspect, but we possibly used
the FL/FR 500 separates into an inverted vee doublet which was
264ft in total for 160m, but had shorting links which were
removed during daylight, for better performance on HF. The
support for this was a three section Aluminium ladder, which was
just pushed up handraulically, and guyed in two places. The
weather, I recall, was quite untypical of NFD, being warm and
dry! We were on the North Gower peninsular, and the tide almost
surrounded us as it came in. In the distance one could see the
cockle pickers at Penclawdd, and in the other direction, it was
alleged that one could see the boathouse at Laugharne, where
Dylan Thomas wrote so much of his work. Although I couldn't
personally verify the latter, it was a nice romantic idea, which
provided inspiration to keep the rate up!

About ten years previously, Mary Hopkin, a local girl, had sung
" Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end,
we'd sing and dance for ever and a day", and that's how I
remember that magical NFD. Reminiscences of a tired OF?; very
possibly, but I'm glad I was there!

Oh, did I mention GW5ZL/P won NFD that year?

73

Clive

 Donald Field wrote:
> Just like 25 years ago when we used the letter E rather than Q

GW3NJW
gw3njw at gw7x.org
Contest Cambria-http://www.gw7x.org