[UK-CONTEST] GQ6YB Jubulee Contest - M/S HP

HYDES,ALAN (HP-Unitedkingdom,ex2) alan_hydes at bra.exch.hp.com
Wed Jun 12 10:03:28 EDT 2002

What a fun event !

Bristol CG were unable to do NFD this year, so we went all-out
for this one.  We were amazed how the QSO rate kept up throughout
the contest, particularly on CW.  There was a lot of support for the
contest from round the world.  In particular we were surprised by
the level of activity from Europeans, Japanese and US.  Probably a
little less activity from the Commonwealth than in BERU, but plenty
of interesting DX to be had, including: VP8, 3B8, ZK1, V5, 7Q, VK2-VK8,
and of course 9M6.  Couldn't sustain a run on 10m , but there were a
few useful mults to be had there, like VP8, VK2, 9J, 5N.

- Overall a fantastic event, well worth running again in some form.
- Mixed Mode is good for clubs, it gives interest for everyone.
- Having G call areas as mults might make it more interesting.
- Not working own call area is fine.  Saves it from being a G-fest.
- Maybe allow QSOs and Mults in both modes on a band as in IOTA.
  We had 77 dupes as a result of the single mode rule...easier
  to work them than explain.
- Having the spotter station manned the whole time was important.
  Mults were so hard to find.

Equipment:  2x FT1000 + TL922
            (with PTTs interlocked)

Antennas:   Triband beams at 110ft, 70ft and 40ft
            80 delta loop apex at 90ft, 80m dipole at 60ft
            40 delta loop apex at 60ft, 40m dipole at 50ft

     band      QSOs      points    mults
     -----------------------------------
      80         19          95       4
      40        103         515      12
      20       1072        5360      31
      15       1005        5025      28
      10         10          50       8
     TOTAL     2209       11045      83      SCORE: 916,735

Operator(s):  G3XSV, G0WKW, G3TKF, G4FKA, G7ORR,
              M0AXF/EI3JE, G0HFX, M0XXX

Other helpers with station setup & moral support:
              G4NKT, M3ABC/M1EBV, M0WLF, G3YHV, G0KDS

73s de Alan, G3XSV
http://www.g6yb.com/