[UK-CONTEST] WPX M7W SOAB (LP)

ian fugler ian at g4iiy.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 29 15:08:04 EDT 2002

WPX CW
CALL - M7W
OPERATOR - G4IIY
SINGLE OP, ALL BAND, LOW POWER
AERIALS - 84' DOUBLET AT 30'
                    R7000

OP TIME - 30 HOURS

SCORE:  2,005,556

160            0
80            106
40            489
20            532
15            404
10            197
TOTAL    1728
MULTS    574

Having used the home call in last year's event, I decided to give M7W an
airing this year.  Using exactly the same set up, this year I made more 300
more QSOs, but 60 less mults and a lower claimed score!  I did operate for 6
hours less.  I know now that I should have done far less running and far
more S&P.  I think that M7W was a unique mult.  It attracts a great deal of
interest.  After a while the common European mults are pretty much
exhausted, but the number of single point QSOs keep on coming.  For
instance, I worked nearly 80 different OK1 stations.  They just kept on
coming and many of them worked me on at least four bands.

I guess the highlights included being called on 40m by VK4EMM on Sunday
morning, hearing his familiar call tail ending several loud EU callers.  It
was also good to hear 10m open up to South America on Sunday evening and to
be called by some strong LUs against an absolutely quiet background.

A lowlight was simply not believing that I had copied HT4T's callsign
correctly.  I must have really annoyed him by asking for two repeats.

Looking forward to NFD on Saturday.
Ian G4IIY