[UK-CONTEST] G4PIQ/P Reports for 21/28 SSB and EU SSB Sprint

Mike Farmer G3VAO at hortonbrook.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 03:23:32 EDT 2002

> > Again - I'd rather see the effort to encourage UK stations to
> > take part in something like CQWW with more awards to support that than
> > dragging out another domestic contest which has really seen better days.
> >

> Absolutely, how this survived when 7Mhz DX got the axe is a mystery. Next
> weekend we will probably be subsumed by the WAG contest if it is
> co-incident again, which really is all that needs to be said. I believe we
> have proved beyond doubt that we cannot support a contest on the
> international scale, whereas countries like S5 with the population of GW
> readily so do. This is sad but inescapable, so let's play to our remaining
> strengths.
>
> My only caveat to the above is that WAE should be encouraged in preference
> to CQWW, which hardly needs it, and which is already well supported by Gs

The logical extension of this is to do away with all RSGB HF Contest - even
that may be a good point as the RSGB would then save the costs of the HFCC.
Silly really.

During the worst bit of the sun's cycle the skill in contesting shifts from
"RUN< RUN< RUN" to work out the propagation then work what you are confident
is there.  For the run boys 20m will always tickle their fancy.  So I see no
real reason to change much especially if there is an interest being shown by
new licensees - Does the HFCC ask them what they  would like to see in a
Contest?

My only concern with WAE is that its one of the more complicated contests
and the intro to contesting should be the simplest possible - so we should
retain the simple serial number (and possibly post code) exchange.

Mike
G3VAO

PS it was interesting (at the end of the Oceania Contest) being called by EU
when I was CALLING and working the Oceania Contest all they wanted was my
postcode!!