[UK-CONTEST] 2128MHz CW/SSB Contests

Mike Farmer G3VAO at hortonbrook.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 16:39:25 EDT 2002

Hi Chris

> - How would you define an adjacent country? I can see a few problems.

Straight off the top of my head I would suggest an adjacent country is one
with witch you share a border ie G shares with GW and GM but GW only has G
likewise GM.  I would think that water removes the adjacent bit so GD and GC
would be a good place to be!!

> - Do overseas stations work anyone? A bit like a mini-CQWW?

Everyone works everyone but non-UK must have an added attraction so non-uk.
So how about the same scoring for own country, adjacent country etc but
10pts per UK station irrespective of location.

> We would still need to retain a (dual mode) Field Day to satisfy the "Men
> in Grey" that we can establish emergency communications (and anyway
> it is good fun to get out there), and obviously the IOTA Contest would
still
> need to remain, also the two AFSs continue to be very popular.

I disagree,  having spent best part of 40 years dealing with "emergency
planning and exercising" and the "what the hell happens now?" question.  The
get on the air quickly solution would not contain towers (however portable)
and beams,   simple antennas would be the rule.  Emergency communications
would almost certainly require communication within the UK so the LF bands
would be better - Do I hear a lobby to change FD to a no towers or beams and
LF only contset - - - I guess not.   I feel that the number of FD stations
that are set up under emergency conditions is so small that FD is irrelevant
and FD should go.

On the other hand,   IOTA is undoubtabley a big success so I guess it should
stay.  But AFS - I just do not see the point of those 2.

Conclusion my earlier message must be changed to 3 contests not 2

RSGB Low Bands
RSGB High Bands
IOTA

73 de Mike