[UK-CONTEST] UK log requirements question

Dave Sergeant dsergeant at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 16 08:34:23 EST 2003

On 16 Dec 2003 at 10:43, Andy Summers wrote:

> Does anyone on this reflector know whether it's a requirement under
> BR68 for UK Amateurs to record the start time AND end time of any QSO?
> Yes, I've read BR68 and I find it ambiguous. I'm not certain, but I
> believe StarLog might do this and I know that Shacklog does this, so I
> was wondering why

Interesting point. Of course for most contest QSOs the start and end
time will to all intents and purposes be the same as the exchange is
just a few seconds. SD logs the time when you enter the contact,
which would be the end time. I messed that up with my last QSO in
CQWW when the clock had rolled over to the next day before I pressed
enter and had to edit the date manually! (followed by a strange
dialogue telling the Italian the contest had actually ended...).

In fact BR68 does not require you to record the times of start and
finish of each contact, only the start and finish times of a period
of operation. It only requires you to record the callsigns of
stations worked during that period, specific times are not needed. It
does however say you should record all CQ calls whether answered or
not, and the times of all band and mode changes...

73 Dave G3YMC

dsergeant at btinternet.com
http://www.btinternet.com/~dsergeant