[UK-CONTEST] CABRILLO (again!)

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Sun Jan 12 05:10:23 EST 2003

Don G3XTT said,

> But the .LOG and .SUM format has changed slightly with
> different versions of the software and doesn't, strictly,
> conform to the published RSGB format (just as well, as
> that didn't allow five-character references for the exchange,
> so IOTA refs get truncated!).

I've explained to Don that the RSGB format has been broken
since the IOTA contest started in 1993, in that the
multiplier claimed field, 4 characters, could not hold a
full IOTA reference.

The compromise for IOTA, agreed with Don's predecessors, was
to insert a "band serial" in the multiplier field - 1 for the
first multiplier on each band, 2 for the second etc. - and to
record the full IOTA reference later in the record.  As such,
SDI has been fully compliant with RSGB requirements.

For all other RSGB contests with multipliers, SD meets, and has
met, the RSGB format in all respects. Starting with AFS, today,
SD supports Cabrillo logs for RSGB contests - and I'm working
with Don to finalise the specs for Cabrillo summary records in
the IOTA contest.

73,
Paul EI5DI