[UK-CONTEST] GM4YXI ARRL SSB 2003

pat058 at abdn.ac.uk pat058 at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 05:53:39 EST 2003

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: GM4YXI
Operator(s): GM4YXI
Station: GM4YXI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ellon, Aberdeenshire
Operating Time (hrs): 33
Radios: SO2R

  160:   32    16
   80:  164    32
   40:  366    48
   20:  670    57
   15:  831    60
   10:  563    49
-------------------
Total: 2626   262  Total Score = 2,064,036

Club: North of Scotland Contest Group

Bit late with this and everybody, including me, has forgotten most of this
weekend. My lead in was relatively problem free for a change, just a
hectic week at work so, like everyone else no doubt, pretty tired by
Friday night. Conditions were as predicted....pretty bad. First hour = 6
QSO's (Last year I made about 130!), second hour 16, third 26. Makes you
wonder why I kept going. 10m was almost all skew path with huge signals
from Florida and everyone else like EME.

Highs...few. Short but brisk runs on 10 and 15m, some nice DX on 40 (I
quite like 40m SSB split(!)), good 160 opening at my sunrise on Saturday,
80m seemed to work well although activity was poor.

Lows.....conditions, the first 3 hours, K4WI op telling me on 10m, when
asked,that, yes, he knew he was 30 kHz wide (he was also 30 over 9) and,
yes, it was deliberate, as he was keeping his frequency clear. What can I
say?

Although the above says 33hrs QRV, I was in the chair for 41hrs, just not
making enough QSO's to convince CT that I was still in the shack!! I
realise you told me how to fix this, Dave, I just forgot!

CU all at the weekend in WPX as 9M2RPN (with G4ZFE as M2 entry)
Best wishes
Keith 9M2/GM4YXI