[UK-CONTEST] FT-1000MP improvements

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 06:32:25 EDT 2004

G3SVL wrote:

>So I guess the answer to your question is that they have incorporated
>the 70MHz gain mod. The trade off is going to be improved close in
>versus large signal handling. Perhaps we could persuade Peter G3SJX to
>test one ......

 >the Roofing filter mod replaces [the Inrad front-end mod].
 >The mod goes after
 >the stock, 12 khz. 4 pole crystal filter.  It is a 4 khz., 6 pole
crystal
 >filter, with a small amp that more than compensates for insertion loss.
 >Since it sets the maximum bandwidth, one must use the sub-receiver to
 >listen to FM.
 >
>About all I can say about the filter is that my radio sounds much "cleaner."
>And, when other hams in the area are on the air (usually 17 meters), I have
>to tune within a few khz. before I get the de-sensing - prior to the mod, I
>would get the de-sensing within 15 - 18 khz., so that is quite an
>improvement.  In other words, I actually have to hunt a bit :)  I live in
>the San Fernando Valley (NE of downtown Los Angeles), and I have quite a few
>neighors who run the legal limit.  I almost never use the noise blanker, but
>recently, the occasion arose, and it seemed to work very effectively.  Tom
>W6EIJ

Chris SVL again:
>BTW, at my last enquiry the filters were still on 'back order' from INRAD.

Their website http://www.qth.com/inrad currently says "delivery starting
the last week of September. Units will be shipped in the order in which
orders are received."  Someone on the MP list said Inrad had been
holding back to wait for customer reactions on the first batch that was
released around Dayton-time... seems fair enough.

Has anyone been able to access the pdf about roofing filters from teh
Inrad site?

--
73 from Ian G3SEK