[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC Data night

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Thu Jun 10 04:38:26 EDT 2004

There is another point that has not been mentioned and that is the issue
of receiver synchronization on RTTY.

If the receiving station goes to receive AFTER the transmission has started
then the receiver will detect the first SPACE that comes along and think
this is the start of a full character when it may in fact be in the middle
of a character. Using a 1.5 unit stop MARK means that it will be fairly
soon that the receiver commences each character on the correct start SPACE.
 However, a few characters will be lost.

Even when character sync has been obtained the receiver may be in FIGS when
it should be in LTRS. Fortunately callsigns change from one to the other
at least twice, so only one or two more characters may be lost.

So, the clever operator sends a few redundant characters PRIOR to sending
any key information to give the receiver time to achieve sync. Have you
noticed how G3CWI uses RYRYRY quite a lot to buffer important information?

The moral is that it is possible to be too slick for your own good. Rather
like all that stuff about abbreviated numbers in serials that appeared last
week, the conclusion then was that being too 'clever' ends up with a slower
QSO rate for you due to requests for repeats or busted QSOs on checking.

73

Bob