[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC Data night

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 04:22:46 EDT 2004

  wrote:

>Even when character sync has been obtained the receiver may be in FIGS
>when it should be in LTRS. Fortunately callsigns change from one to the
>other at least twice, so only one or two more characters may be lost.
>
>So, the clever operator sends a few redundant characters PRIOR to
>sending any key information to give the receiver time to achieve sync.
>Have you noticed how G3CWI uses RYRYRY quite a lot to buffer important
>information?

RYRY will do it, but other strings can do more.

For the initial call, there's a very strong case for starting with
<newline>DE<space>. It will help achieve sync, but it does a lot more
besides. If the <newline> character is received, it makes your callsign
stand out - see Phil's transmissions as a good example. If DE<space> is
copied, most software will then highlight *your* callsign on-screen to
the receiving operator.

To avoid the "TOOPWE" problem when the initial figures-shift character
has been missed, set your software to "Unshift On Space" and then insert
spaces before the numbers you send, eg " 599 023 023". That is a little
slower, but it inserts a figs-shift character before *each* "023" so the
other station is far less likely to need a repeat.

The "best" number of times to send your callsign when S&Pin on RTTY -
and the reasons why - are really exactly the same as for CW. The only
difference is that for RTTY you should aim never to do any hand sending.
You need to plan ahead more, and then program the necessary function
keys.

It's useful to have both "DE 1x" and "DE 2x" available, at least. Then
when the moment comes, use your best judgement and experience to pick
which one to send.

There's stacks of good information available on AA5AU's RTTY Contesting
site, www.rtty-contesting.com, and also on his home site.

(Sorry I can't get on for the data CC contests - I've been permanently
locked out by another commitments.)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK