[UK-CONTEST] RTTY habits

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Thu Jun 10 16:31:44 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Neil G3RIR, and Bob G3ORY both commented on my thoughts about RTTY
contesting, and I would like to answer both.

I agree with Neil, in that just sending DE G3XXX G3XXX can SOMETIMES be met
with confusion, particularly in a major RTTY contest, when you can often
find two calling CQ very close together.
However, my main point was that GU0SUP GU0SUP GU0SUP DE G3XXX G3XXX G3XXX is
overkill.
If there is nay chance of confusion, then GU0SUP DE G3XXX G3XXX is more than
adequate.

In the 80m CC Data evenings, I don't think there has been that many
occasions when confusion has been likely, but if you are in any doubt
whatsoever, then a 1 X 3 call is worth a go.
I'm not sure I agree that the 80m CC evenings are all that different to a
major contest! In many major contests, you get a lot of guys who don't
realise there is a contest, and resond to a CQ TEST call with their name,
QTH, and large brag files! Add to those who insist on responding to QRZ JA?
with IK1XXX, and you get the picture. At least these 80m CC data nights only
seem to attract folk who are playing in the same contest!

Bob G3ORY mentioned the use of RYRYRYRY by G3CWI before a response, but I
don't think Bob's reasons for this are quite right. I would suggest that
starting to transmit before the other guys has finished is wrong, and bad
practice.
All you realistically need is a CR/LF before and after each line of text in
the buffer.

Also, if you end up with out of synch characters, you are likely to see
TOOAPPQAPPQ which is readily translated into 599 001 001 where the A equals
a space.
if you look at the top line of keys, you can see that Q=1, W=2, E=3 etc, so
if someone sends you TOOAPPQAPPQ, you can quickly convert it and enter the
right serial number.

Most important is to try and call the the guy on his frequency! I use very
narrow filters for RTTY, and found a few calling me way outside that range,
and only copied them when I opened the filters wider.
If you are using MMTTY for this contest, then un-check NET and AFC, and try
to tune the other person in accurately.

I am NOT complaining, and in fact I applaud all you guys giving RTTY a go
for the first time! It is great to see so much activity, but it would be
wrong not to suggest ways of improving your rate, or your enjoyment of the
fun.
I have seen a few moans that the rates are much lower than SSB or CW, and
yes, RTTY rates are less than CW for sure, and can be lower than SSB, but it
is far more relaxed.

Have fun, and try the ANARTS this weekend.
73 de Phil GU0SUP