[UK-CONTEST] QRS Etc

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Fri Jun 18 12:30:50 EDT 2004

As Dave G3YMC noted I got off to a flying start, but couldn't sustain it
and ended with a meagre 84 Qs. It definitely seemed to be an evening
which benefitted stations in the Midlands, just like AFS. At the end of
the contest G3TBK was hitting 40dB over S9 on my meter.

Yes I try to send a few non-599 reports, and had occasion to send 597 to
two stations, both G3s, whose signals were pretty ropey to say the least.

There's no one right speed for the whole of the contest. Judging where
to be in the band, and at what speed, is part of the fun. I spent a
little time in the QRS corral and although it wasn't very productive, it
gave me an extra two or three Qs. On the other hand Simon Treacher M3CVN
was mixing it up down the bottom end, calling people at 12-15wpm and the
better operators will have replied at the same speed rather than carry
on at 28wpm plus.

Dave G4BUO