[UK-CONTEST] QRS Etc

QSL qsl at zetnet.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 06:48:26 EDT 2004

While it has been fascinating to read all [well most] of the comments
regardings the QRS window, I cannot help feeling that some are missing
the point.

I fully appreciate that in any Contest, half the 'entrants' are there to
win. However I note an almost total lack of encouragement for what I
will call 'newbies'. In other words, 'If you cannot copy at 30wpm - then
*I* am not going to make any effort to slow down.'

In these days of no morse test, and the general average age increase of
Amateurs everywhere [yes, even I am getting older] In a short space of
time will be be getting complaints of 'There was nobody there to work.'
?

Unless a modicom of tolerance and understanding is shown to those who
'might' like to indulge in CW contests at 12-15 wpm, rather than be put
off by the apparent arrogance of operators who consider that anything
less than 28wpm isn't worth bothering about, no newcomers will arrive on
the scene.

OK, I will accept the flak, but if you can, just think about it first,
before you attack your keyboard.

All of us started 'green' in whatever mode we use. We all learnt by
experience and hopefully were encouraged by those who took the time and
had the patience, so that in each contest we became that little bit more
proficient in our operating skills.

73

Graham M5AAV, ex G8UYD

--