[UK-CONTEST] QRS Etc

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 21 11:18:53 EDT 2004

Graham, I don't think that is true. We are all keen to encourage newbies and
I think that the large majority of operators are willing to slow down to
accomodate them. I am happy within a speed range of around 15wpm up to
45wpm. Either side of that and my concentration collapses. The frustration
sets in when slower speeds are coupled with inefficient transfer of data.

Contesting is about exchange of data. It is not the speed of the data stream
that concerns me, it is the superfluous junk (a bit like Yahoo) that comes
with it.

A contest exchange with all the trimmings, eg ur rsu ur rst 599 599 001 001
etc, sent at 18wpm is probably slower in data exchange than a neat 5NN TT1
sent at 9wpm.

Likewise in an SSB contest. A couple of years back I sat with some local ops
during SSB Field Day and a similar thing happened. A superb opening on 15m
and these people were running at about 100Q per hour. I kept passing notes
saying forgot the "Good luck" or "Many, many thanks."  Anyway, why wish
someone who you have given 560 to and they have given you 002, good luck in
the contest? They ain't going to put a serious entry in!   Now, without all
that superfluous data, they could have got the rate up to 120 or 150,
without any more effort. Just being more efficient. It is so easy!!

Coming back to QRS Corral, again I have no problem in slowing down but why
not thank me by reducing the garbage? It is so easy!!
and here is your prize ..... you get more contacts as well.

A really good negotiation conclusion ... Win-Win.      73 Chris G3SJJ