[UK-CONTEST] QRS Etc

g3rir demon g3rir at ackerley24.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 06:19:18 EDT 2004

In any case what is the definition of the "big boys" ?

My antenna for 80m is a centre-fed dipole and runs just a little N of
East and a little S of West; it is about 40 feet high at the centre and
one end is about 5 feet from the ground to a garden cane at the edge of
the front open plan garden but in a straight line, the other end goes to
a tree about 15 feet high behind my garden fence but this is about 20
feet short of the required length. The wire is then bent back and runs
under the main wire to about 5 feet from the ground.

I ensure that the antenna resonates at which ever part of the band is
needed by using my MFJ Gizmo (brilliant device) and folding or unfolding
the last few feet at each end of the wire. The antenna is fed by thin
coax (UR76) with no balun and I get better than 1.2 : 1 at the radio.

The ground is good solid midland clay (this may be factor, gardening is
very difficult but it might help rf). I have no ground radials and only
have one earth spike earthing my small tower. A fairly short piece of
tubing fixed to a bracket on the back of the house would be just as good
as my tower for a support for a wire antenna.

I cannot achieve "top echelon" in these cc80 contests but I am not far
behind using 100w to an antenna which many can achieve.

Neil, G3RIR

---