[UK-CONTEST] QRS Etc

Ray Goff ray at g4fon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 06:26:49 EDT 2004

> Not entirely true Andy. In the recent CW CC event I worked 50 stations in
> the first 30 mins, and 35 more in the next hour! I would have given my eye
> teeth to work ANYONE, fast, slow, CW-dyslexic, or whatever towards the end.
> But the less-experienced ops. do tend to be a bit elusive - they need to
> call CQ more, in my view, especially towards the end of these events when
> the "big boys" are on the prowl.
>
> 73 Don G3XTT

The G4FON QTH is seriously antenna challenged, so despite being in the centre of
the country, I do not have a strong signal for these events.

As a result, I simply cannot hold a frequency at the lower end of the band long
enough to get a run going. Hence I QSY'ed up the band to the QRS section, but I
only made 15 of my 69 Q's by calling CQ up there. Even members of our club, who
knew I was on apparently didn't tune high enough.

There was also some QRM around 3550 which I tried to avoid, but I suspect
everybody starts at the bottom of the band and tunes up the band until they
reach silence, even if that is not the top of the contest segment as set out in
the rules, they head back down to the bottom for another sweep.

Oh for a full size 80 metre dipole!

73

Ray, G4FON