[UK-CONTEST] CQWW 2004

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Tue Nov 2 04:07:40 EST 2004

A point that always seems to be overlooked in this debate about SSB in
the wrong part of 40m is that it is an amateur exclusive allocation.
However, when the MUF goes low, you get military and other signals
popping up, in our band. Not just the Russians, but NATO (including UK)
see our allocation as fair game.

This happens any time of the year, not just for a proportion of the 48
hours of a major phone contest. Where are the complaints from the 40m CW
users about that? From experience I have found that you can sometimes
cause these illegal military signals to move. I hope that the guys who
spent some of their weekend trying to get CQWW phone stations to move by
sending CW over them, will also spend time trying to shift the illegal
military stuff as well.

For the record, my position is the same as Steve and Andy. I often
don't work the likes of KC1XX W3LPL in a 40m phone contest because they
choose to listen in the CW portion.

Dave G4BUO