[UK-CONTEST] CQWW SSB - the good old days!

Andy Hamon andyh at cwgsy.net
Thu Nov 4 16:37:29 EST 2004

Having returned to the joys of ham radio, sun spot lows and all the new
technology after a 18 year absence, I "had a go" in the contest last
weekend.
Objective:- Bag a few new countries & give away the GU Mult. Running QRP to
a wet noodle certainly presented its own challenges!
With all the "discussion" about equality between nations, band plans
(recommended or otherwise), output power etc I wish to add my 0.5 penny or
should that be 1 euro's worth:

I was, as always, disappointed at the numerous stations who had their foot
firmly planted on the DVK "send" button, listening for all of half a second
before firing off another machine-gunned CQ or QRZ.
Maybe if they had have listened for just a bit longer, they might have
picked up another weak mult or two. I certainly got very fed-up with that
attitude and not having a KW / beam combo moved along to the next deserving
station.
Once I had "made myself heard" over the s9 noise, most stations said I was a
reasonable s7-8 signal.

In these modern times are there any prizes / new category for the BIGGEST/
W-I-D-E-S-T/ Dirtiest signal on the band?? If so there were a fair few
contenders! I was appalled to hear the number of stations operating in
either the local cathedral or the outside loo as the echo was awful. Did
nothing for their sigs and made most totally unreadable. Also, is there a
section in the amateur theory test these days that instructs on how to
overdrive your transmitter. It would appear so as there were any number of
stations a good 5-7 Kcs (sorry KHz) wide. My Mk5 with all filters kicked in
was not happy with these.

The other new "invention" that caused me much amusement was Super Partial
Check. I had more that one QSO that went something like this:

ME: GOLF UNIFORM 4 WHISKY TANGO NOVEMBER

DX: Go the GOLF UNIFORM 4

ME: GOLF UNIFORM 4 WHISKY TANGO NOVEMBER

DX: Was That GU4EON?

ME: GOLF UNIFORM 4 WHISKY TANGO NOVEMBER

DX: Was that GU4YOX?

ME: GOLF UNIFORM 4 WHISKY TANGO NOVEMBER

DX: WAS that GU4CHY?

ME: GOLF UNIFORM 4 WHISKY TANGO NOVEMBER   GOLF UNIFORM 4 WHISKY TANGO
NOVEMBER

DX: OK GU4WTN 59 zz

What a wonderful creation!

On a more serious note, I know Maarti OH2BH is a bit of a jet setter, but
this takes the biscuit!

Worked ZA/OH2BH on Saturday, early afternoon. Then Worked OH2BH (different
sounding voice) late on Saturday. On Sunday morning heard ZA/OH2BH again.
What a mover! Or was he being a) pirated b)letting someone else use the
"home call" c)using a marvel of technology to either travel that fast or
remotely operate the station. Is this possible / allowed?????

Anyway, time to climb down off the soap box and let someone else have a
turn.

That aside, I enjoyed the weekend and look forward to the CW leg.

vy 73

Andy
GU4WTN