[UK-CONTEST] Base Insulator for 80m Vertical

Chris Burbanks g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 5 14:17:40 EDT 2004

I bought a 9m telescopic fibre-glass mast at the Leicester Radio Show to
make a 1/4w vertical for 3.5MHz. The bottom section just fits into the top
of a 6m ali scaffold pole. I could use 2 poles, ie 12m plus the fg pole with
a wire down the side, or a single one and either helically wind some wire
round the fg pole, or base load the whole thing. Some experimentation will
be required.

Anyway, I need to make up a base insulator and wondered if anyone has any
thoughts. Ideally, I would like about 25cm of nylon or fibre glass rod, 43mm
diameter, to act as a joiner between to pieces of scaffold. Similar to the
Butternut HFV6 etc. There is a company that advertises in Radcom but minimum
lengths are 6m. This could be ok if other people wanted similar pieces.

Any useful suggestions would be welcome.  Chris G3SJJ

---