[UK-CONTEST] 2128MHz ssb contest

Colin Potter colin.potter1 at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 23 12:20:30 EDT 2004

Hi,

I quite enjoyed the contest. This may be because I have spent many years
working on VHF contests and the patience and searching skills needed were
rather similar for this one. A bit different from managing the 2 or 3 a
minute rate in pile-ups. With poor conditions its the same problem for
everyone of course.

I used 100W to a double off-centre dipole (80+30m) at only about 7m AGL.  It
is true I only worked 7 stations on 10, but they were 5Z, 5B, EA8, ZS, Z22,
LU and PY. Not bad for dead band! On 15 I managed 56 QSO's ranging from W6
to JA but I found with my set-up that S&P were the order of the day - you
seem to need a beam and higher power to get results from CQ calls (although
it was the ZS that called me!!)

One way I would change the contest is to allow inter-G working for a point a
time, this would attract a few more on to 10m and this in turn may attract
the lurking DX. Combining CW and phone on the same day would be fine too as
long as you could decide to enter either mode or mixed mode sections.  A
different day from WAG would also be a good idea.

CU in the WPX

73 Colin M0DDT and G6FQZ