[UK-CONTEST] Re: 160m cw

Andy swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 04:08:40 EST 2005

>I shoved my 3 watts into a 150ft end fed wire instead of the G5RV but
>because of the wind was unable to make a job of the lead in. (clove
hitch
>round a screw in the brickwork)
>The noise seemed worse than the January 160m test and the europeans
not so
>strong.  Strangly, some of the very weak signals came back to me. SJJ
was a
>thumping signal but the Scots
>didn't come in at all well.
>The last three of my 42 contacts were XTT, WGV and BUO on 009, 002 and
056
>respectively although I had heard Dave earlier in the evening.
>Location North Yorkshire
>Good fun.   Thanks to all
>Des G3HKO

I'm really surprised you were only running 3 watts to a 'normal'
antenna - you were no problem to copy here.  I was thinking that the
only reason I worked the people I did was because they were all running
a KW (errm sorry I meant the uk legal limit) and had more wire in the
air than I have on the ground.   The fact that I can hear and work
people with 'normal' setups is a great encouragement!

Cheers
Andy

gm8oeg