[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC G3YMC QRP

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Tue Jan 4 03:50:31 EST 2005

On 3 Jan 2005 at 22:30, G3SXW wrote:

> Wierd condx indeed

No, not weird, just as predicted. During the winter months the f0
critical frequency usually falls below 3MHz after dark, which means
there will be virtually no inter G propagation on 80m. Those of you
who have listened on the band for the past few weeks will already
know this, with virtually no G stations to be heard anywhere. On
Saturday evening I was having a play in the OQRP contest. I could
easily work most of the western European stations (who were all
running QRP), but no Gs. I heard G3RSD (signing MP for 10W?) calling
but he was quite weak and watery and I couldn't raise him - that was
the only G I heard.

So last night, after a little flurry in the first few minutes, the f0
dropped sharply and that was it. Apart from GM3JKS (only GM heard)
and a couple of GWs, everything else was at the end of my ground wave
range. Total of only 25 QSOs. There may be a case of bring forward
the January legs by an hour to get round the problem, I think you
will find the SSB leg the same.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com