[UK-CONTEST] GM4AFF 80m CC

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 13 12:49:46 EST 2005

GM8OEG wrote

<So how about changing the  contest to have VHF style 50km/point scoring
so that you get more credit for working distant stations than those in
the next garden?  And how about adding locators to the exchange and have
a grid square multiplier?  That gives everyone a bit of incentive to
search out multipliers rather than just sitting on one Freq the whole
contest and expecting everyone to come to you.>

Because it wouldn't be popular; be careful, you could turn it into an
interesting contest, and we may not be ready for that!. AFS and 80mCC are
"easy" contests. By that I mean, easy if you have a half-decent antenna, and
are, as you rightly conclude, in the English Midlands- oh yes you do need to
be a tidy operator also, but well, that's pretty obvious. No need to hunt
multipliers, just sit there for 75% of the contest and call CQ, then do some
S&P to catch the stragglers. Is it broken? Well if popularity is a
yardstick, it isn't. You either love these events, else you hate them. Last
night I cleaned out the cupboard under the sink, and had a lot more fun. OK
I admit it, I'm weird!

73

Clive
GW3NJW