[UK-CONTEST] AFS thoughts

G3SVL G3SVL at manyoaks.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 12:47:17 EST 2005

Seeing all the posts re AFS SSB I’m tempted to quote from a 1980’s pop tune
lyrics:

Oh what fun we had
But, did it really turn out bad
All I learnt at school
Was how to bend not break the rules

         (the song was recorded by the group ‘Madness’)

Thoughts:
    * If everyone RUNs there would be no QSO’s
    * If everyone S & P’s there will also be no QSO’s
    * Only 150KHz to play with
    * Take away 20KHz for SSTVers who really do seem to ‘own’ those
frequencies
    * Take away 50 KHz for German’s who consistently remind us (at 40 over
9) that 3650 ­ 3700 is not a recognised contest area
    * Assume we can work within 2KHz of each other (allowing for geography
& propagation)
    * Assume more than 400 stations active ­ half of which are seriously
trying to get up the top of the table
  And you can see its always going to end it tears!

Suggestions:
    * Make the SSB leg a 6 hour contest (12:00 ­ 18:00 or 13:00 ­ 19:00)
    * Only one callsign per club allowed to RUN (all others S & P) - bit
boring but solves the problem -- hey, you could even allocate each station
a 'channel' :~)
    * Some element of Sprint (i.e. move after ‘n’ QSO’s) ­ how do you
enforce this?
    * Make it 100w max ­ reduces QRM (by up to 12dB some would argue ....)
    * Or recognise that despite all the moans and groans it’s a damn good
training exercise and ultimately, like F1, the same few people will always
win by having the better equipment, better skills and forcing challengers
off the road
..
    * Above all else, make sure we retain the ethos of this event which is
to encourage more club members into improving their stations and skills and
getting on the air in a contest

73 de Chris G3SVL

p.s. 212 Q’s ­ had 2 runs, rest S & P. Ceased first run due to QRM.  On the
four occasions I asked people to QSY when they started up near me - to a
man they did.  I almost certainly caused QRM to others.  And I enjoyed the
CW leg about 10 times more
..  but doubtless I'll see you in AFS SSB 2006!